The Controller is responsible for DeVry University’s accounting, finance, tax, insurance and treasury functions and serves as a key transformational leader in centralizing and streamlining processes, optimizing accounting/reporting systems and developing talent. The position directs the organization-wide monthly, quarterly and annual accounting close cycles. In addition, this role oversees the organization’s treasury, insurance, tax and disbursement functions.
- Directs the accounting close process for DeVry University including review of closing accounting entries and analysis.
- Directs staff in the input and analyses of internal financial statements, trends, and changes in account balances for discussion at month-end close review meetings with the VP
- Leads the Home Office accounting function and directs the preparation of and ensures that data is translated into meaningful and focused information and reports to drive performance and action.
- Leads the disbursement function including accounts payable, P-cards and expense reimbursement
- Directs and ensures the completion of the detailed review of the month-end general ledger, financial statements, account reconciliations and analyses. Ensures internal controls over financial accounting and reporting are performed and supporting evidence is appropriately maintained.
- Directs, facilitates and builds out a centralized accounting function which optimizes organization-wide finance resources.
- Drives change for new processes and controls or improvements to existing processes and controls. Empowers staff to identify and implement process improvements.
- Ensures compliance with organizational policies, Sarbanes Oxley and internal controls, GAAP standards and statutory requirements, including sales and use taxes, federal and state guidelines and unclaimed property.
- Coordinates external and internal audits and provides recommendations for procedural improvements.
-Leads and managers the team of six colleagues and ensure effective training, performance evaluation and career development of staff.
- Assist with the preparation of budgets and forecast updates for the institution
- Coordinates the preparation and filing of federal and state income tax returns, personal property, for all locations under DVU ensuring compliance with both US Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) requirements, as well as maintaining underlying work-papers including journal entries and account reconciliations.
- Directs staff to accomplish concurrent projects with tight deadlines in addition to achieving monthly close responsibilities, and initiates independent project work.
- Works closely with other Home Office (external reporting, payroll, real estate, supply management) to identify gaps and improvements in financial and operational processes. Provides guidance to other departments as necessary.
- Directs annual insurance renewal with outside broker
- Leads and manages the treasury functions and banking relationships
- Completes other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting required, CPA preferred.
- Minimum 10 years of progressive accounting experience, with at least two years in leadership roles and demonstrated ability to build teams and develop talent, drive team objectives and performance and achieve results in a timely manner.
- Specialized knowledge of accounting/technical skills; strong managerial skills.
- Lawson ERP application skills desired.
- Diligent and well organized.
- Insightful and service oriented.
- Solid systems and process improvement background.
Since our founding in 1931, DeVry University has focused on delivering a different kind of education – one based on experiential learning with real-world applications. When you join our team, you’re choosing an institution that serves students who are different, too: a diverse group of go-getters from all walks of life.
We know our colleagues are integral to the success of the institution. At DeVry, we’re guided by our culture of care, and we embrace values that teach us to care for students, self and colleagues. It’s one way we position our colleagues for success.
We are looking for engaged, caring colleagues to join our organization in serving our students. We take extra pride in our dedicated support teams, as well as our outstanding faculty members who have often worked for years in the fields that they teach. We believe all our colleagues deserve opportunities to reach their goals. Whether it’s career advancement, maintaining a healthy lifestyle or saving for retirement, our comprehensive benefits and professional development offerings can help you meet your goals.
If you want to be a part of an institution focused on providing high-quality education, care and attention, we invite you to apply for a position today.